Saturday, March 25, 2017

FROM "VICTORY" TO COOPERATION

I recently received an email from Sen. Merkley of Oregon celebrating the withdrawal of a bill that would repeal the Affordable Care Act, and urging citizens to continue the resistance to such actions.

I don't have permission to reprint his email, so I won't post that here. However, I am sharing my response to that email expressing my hope that we move from an adversarial position to one that truly works to benefit all citizens. 

*****

My response to Sen. Merkley:

I understand the elation with a "victory" after months of lies and cruel actions that seem to rip at the fabric of compassion and caring that has provided the foundation for America.

While I appreciate so many people think the ACA is great, it simply does not work for me. Considering the opposition to this Act and the number of people who still have not signed up for health insurance, I would guess it doesn't work for a lot of people for varying reasons.

Your email says the ACA carries the "promise of affordable, accessible health care for all." FOR ALL.

Well, now is an excellent time to make good on that promise. Not just for the people who support the ACA, but perhaps most especially for those who don't. 

Why doesn't everyone support the ACA? Doesn't everyone want to be healthy? And truly LISTEN to what detractors of the ACA have to say. 

I recently saw a post on social media that expressed a lot of my thinking on this topic. I'll paraphrase here because I don't remember the exact wording.

Just because I'm pro-choice, doesn't mean abortion would be my choice. Just because I support LGBT rights, doesn't mean I'm lesbian, gay, bi-sexual or transgender. Just because I value freedom of religion doesn't mean I'm Muslim, Buddhist, or atheist. 

The same goes for health care. I've found my own way to be healthy that does not involve paying insurance companies hundreds of dollars each month nor does it involve the U.S. medical system.

I SUPPORT THE RIGHT OF PEOPLE TO MAKE THEIR OWN CHOICES, not to have someone else's choices forced on them. Although the intent of the ACA may have been good, what it became is trying to force someone else's choices on everyone and, to make matters worse, to make everyone pay for choices that are not theirs. 

I think the true victory in the Trumpcare bill being pulled is to show that involved citizens and courageous leaders can indeed make a difference. 

However, to use a somewhat graphic medical analogy, the wound of divisiveness will continue to fester unless we get to the root cause. Can we clean out the infection of anger, resentment and desperation reflected in the attitudes and actions of Trump and his supporters so the wounds of our country can heal?

Can we extend the compassion and caring we want for ourselves to those with whom we disagree? Can we move beyond a "we won, you lost" attitude and find ways that benefit everyone? That could be the true measure of making America even greater.


Thank you for listening to the voices of all and for your continued leadership in helping make those messages heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment