Sunday, February 5, 2017

THERAPY of OPPOSITES

Like a number of my friends, I feel the need for a break from the waves of negative emotions that have been generated over the last months.

However, I want to deal with these negative energies, not just cover them up or avoid them or stuff them down so they boil to the surface again and again. I want to dissipate this ugliness.

I listened to some of my favorite self-help gurus about forgiveness and compassion and focusing on the positive. All good intentions, but still a challenge for me. My overdeveloped sense of justice says people should not lie or bully or threaten or be greedy or, or, or...

As has been happening, mornings are my creative brainstorming time with my spirit guides. This morning, what developed was a way to move my focus from the negative to the positive. 

If someone lies, I simply let their image dissolve to the word "Lies." Then I replace that word with its opposite. In this case, Truth. For a few moments, I allow the emotions and feelings of Truth to pour into me, filling me and immersing me. I imagine a world where there is only Truth. 

I may need to do this repeatedly to retrain the habits of my brain, but it's a quick process to move my mind from negative to positive thoughts and emotions.

I'm also coming up with a list of opposites so my brain can easily substitute a negative emotion with its opposite. For instance:

Lies -- Truth
Threats -- Respect
Greed -- Generosity
Hatred -- Love
Violence -- Peace


For me, this process is simple, fast, and effective. I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment